Monday, November 17, 2008

I've Still Got It

When I was younger, I mean probably not even in high school yet, I had these two anole lizards. They were sooooo cute. They were a vivid lime green, but they could also change color a bit, kind of like a chameleon. They were small enough that if you closed your fist around them their little head would poke out of one end and their tail would hang out the other, and they were so quick that if you put their face up close to a fly, they could snatch it up before it had a chance to spread it's wings. Sometimes I would let them eat flies like this, but usually I would feed them crickets that I caught at dusk in my backyard. I was good at catching the crickets.


Last night I had a chance to test my cricket-catching skills once again, and it turns out I've still got game! Katelyn has been having bad dreams lately, and I'm often up late anyway, so she and I were both awake for a midnight snack. Except it was more like eleven really. We were eating avocado and sourdough toast when all of a sudden Kate says "Mommy! A big SPIDER!" Well, it was really a cricket and we named "her" Katelyn. My first reaction was to be grossed out, but then I remembered that I was an experienced Cricket Catcher. I fearlessly grabbed my drinking glass and a stirring spoon, and after a few tries I had caught Katelyn the Cricket and we were able to have a good look at her. Isn't she cute!



After we took her picture we released her back into the wild. Then Katelyn the Child fell asleep on the dining room floor. So I brought her to her room. Finished her avocado sourdough toast. And went to bed with a sense of accomplishment.

3 comments:

Kierstin said...

Way to go with the cricket! Thanks for your comment-it's fun finding people from the past. You guys have a pretty cute little fam going on.

Maggie Mae said...

Katelyn the Cricket is kind of creepy looking. All the more reason to congratulate you on this accomplishment. Good job.

POM Beasley said...

Dana, your blogs are like a good night story I have to read every night before I go to bed.