Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Concrete Jungle


I h-a-t-e downtown Los Angeles.

Specifically, driving in it.

I grew up in the country. Many of the roads were so narrow and deserted that the county didn't even bother to draw lines on them, which got really tricky in the fog, but I lived.

My cousin moved from similar circumstances to Redondo Beach. She has to commute on congested freeways a lot. It causes her extreme anxiety.

I feel for her.

The only reason we ever venture to downtown LA is to visit our friends, Adam and Marlene. They spent the past four years living in the concrete jungle and loved it! But I am sad to report that we just had our last LA visit with them. They are moving back to Nor Cal. I am sure we will still see them often, but I will miss our LA adventures now that they are gone...(minus the driving part).

We came for Braden's b-day party at the most fancy apartment complex I've ever seen.
The Ortini--or something like that.

The hand-made Telly Tubby pinata was the coolest. It was full of stale Charleston Chew and Simpson's fruitsnacks.
Braden was NOT happy when the other kids had a turn. He is inconsolable in the background! I love that Marlene is laughing about it!!
Happy Birthday Braden!!
We won't miss our adventures on Figueroa, Hope and Flower, or the traffic at the Staples Center, but we will miss the time we spent with you.

Good luck you guys!!

2 comments:

Em said...

that totally reminds me of the spaghetti bowl in slc, but WAY worse. i have only ridden in a cab there, but i am having axiety right now as i read about driving there. not that we're going there, i'm just saying, i don't want to drive there if we ever did.

Jake & Rachel said...

ahh, LA traffic, don't miss it, but it's home! So I will always have that love-hate relationship.