Sunday, May 3, 2009

Best Friends

When I was five my parents took me to Disneyland and bought me a stuffed Minnie Mouse. I remember how excited I was to get her. I really loved my Minnie Mouse that night and I couldn't wait to bring my new friend home.

Last night we bought Katelyn her first stuffed Minnie. She was so excited. She and Minnie bundled up under a blanket in the stroller. Katelyn made sure that Minnie's face wasn't covered, so she could see everything. Together they smelled the kettle corn, they sat and listened to the man playing keyboards in Downtown Disney, and they clapped when he was done.

On our way back to the parking lot I could hear Katelyn whispering to Minnie.

"What did you just say?" I asked.

"I'm just talking to Minnie. It's a secret," she replied.

But I could imagine what she was saying:

...Here's our car. We're about to get in it. You're going to love my house and all my toys. We'll be there soon. Watch out for my brother...he drools. We're going to have great times together, you'll see...

How do I know? Because I remember saying those same things to my Minnie doll so many years ago.

2 comments:

POM Beasley said...

I remember that Minnie Mouse...I remember too how excited I was to get her for you cuz I thought it was pretty special too....and I remember how much you really liked getting it......but whatever happened to Minnie???

Dana said...

I can't remember much past that first day. Maybe I lost her. So many broken promises...