Thursday, December 17, 2009

Life With Lemons

Problem: Zach's timeouts are only supposed to last a minute or two, but I kept losing track of time. Sometimes he would even fall asleep before I remembered he was waiting.

Solution: I bought a kitchen timer. It happens to be shaped like a lemon. I set it for a minute and it rings loudly when the time is up. Zach doesn't fall asleep.

Problem: Kids love the lemon timer. All kids. One day we took it to the park and everyone ended up playing games with the lemon...ignoring the play equipment!

Here's when I knew we had a problem:

One day Katelyn came up to me with the lemon in hand asking, "Mom, can I pleeeeeeeease have a Time Out!?"

I smiled at her, surprised, and told her, "No. You only get time outs when you do something wrong."

"Oh," she said. Then she looked up at me sheepishly and half-heartedly hit me on the leg.

This time I laughed. "Okay, go have a time out."

"Thanks, mom. Don't forget the lemon timer!" she called, as she ran off to her bedroom.

Hmmm...I think my lemony solution has become an even bigger problem.

6 comments:

POM Beasley said...

So cute...I think I see a Beatles Rock Band under that tree.

Tiffany said...

Hehe! Why do some of our "brilliant" ideas backfire on us?;)

Emily said...

Note to self-don't buy lemon timer. LOL--I can't believe your kids ask to be put in time out!

KBlack said...

Ha Ha! That's great. You're kids are so cute. I hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Shelley said...

That's so funny! Now you may have to find a different way of punishment if they like time out so much!

Gina said...

That is so funny!
I cant believe any kid would enjoy their time out so much they would have to try to get punished!
You will have to practise harder with your "cross mummy" face