Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Forty Years and Counting

This morning, while Katelyn sat in the living room watching PBS Kids, Zachary and I were in my bedroom playing. We piled up all the pillows and blankets in a mountain on the bed. Zachy was laughing his head off as I lifted him up and dropped him down into the pillows over and over.

He's having more fun than Disneyland, I thought to myself, when all of a sudden he became distracted. He rushed to the edge of the bed and insisted that I help him down immediately, then he took off running down the hallway and in a flash he was gone.

I was confused. What did he hear that could be better than this, I wondered, so I perked up my ears. All I could hear was music coming from the living room:


"...Come and play, everything's A-okay.

Friendly neighbors there, that's where we meet.

Can you tell me how to get, how to get to..."


I laughed out loud. I remember being that excited when I was a little girl, too.

Happy Birthday Sesame Street!

6 comments:

POM Beasley said...

So funny. Love the picture; perfect. The other picture came to mind of you and Jana with your backs to the camera as your little noses were pressed to our little postage size black and white TV on a little table so as you stood in front of it it was right at your eye level and what were your watching...SESAME STREET!! Who's got that picture; you or Jana?

Dana said...

I wanted that one, too. I think I have it, but I couldn't find it in my photo album. Maybe Jana has it?

Gina said...

Lovely photo!

Funny how we all grew up with Sesame Street in different countries around the world! And how much technology has changed.

The comment about watching on a tiny black and white tv made me laugh. Can you imagine if our Mums could have had a glimpse at how their future grandkids would still watch Sesame Street but on big colour tv's.

And that their daughters are on the internet communicating with new friends all around the world via their blogs!

What surprises do the next generations face??!!

POM Beasley said...

I looked in Jana's album and it's not there so hopefully you have it somewhere...thank goodness we both have it etched in our brains; but that doesn't help for blogging.

karen said...

At least when you're on that trail in the dark, you're RUNNING it. We were just WALKING. How sad is that? Getting older is a humbling experience...

Jana said...

I know I don't have it. Love the picture you used though. Funny how many good memories came back of that house, just from that one little picture. I miss my "big" rock.