Saturday, February 7, 2009

The OC Symphony Rach-ed my Manin Off!!

I know, that joke is almost as lame as the old..."Are you going to the store? Don't forget your Chopin-Liszt (shopping list. haha...)," But in Classical music there's just not a lot of funny material to work with. Beethoven went deaf, Mozart was always poor and underappreciated, Shumann went crazy, etc, etc...

But seriously, Rachmaninoff's 3rd concerto was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! It is supposedly the most difficult piano work ever. In the movie Shine, the main character goes crazy learning it (Remember the scene? Jumping on a trampoline in a trench coat--naked?) and he passes out on stage in the middle of his performance. But the pianist last night was incredible, and thankfully he didn't pass out. His name is Nikolai Lugansky. He looks a bit Darcy-esque if you ask me.

Sorry mom, there are no photos of me. It was raining too hard outside for us to stick around for any photo ops, but I wore the dress on the top right (see yesterday's post) with black leggings to protect against the cold.

After the concert we went to Fashion Island for a little Cheesecake Factory with Ryan and Genette and talked about how wonderful the concert was. The big question of the night (other than: How in the world did he memorize all that music?) was: Do you think he enjoys playing the music as much as we enjoy hearing it? But I guess for the answer we'd have to ask Mr. Lugansky himself.

6 comments:

Maggie Mae said...

I am jealous. Sounds awesome.

POM Beasley said...

What a great write up. Wish I could've been there. Too bad Lugansky didn't head to the Cheesecake Factory after the concert too so you could have asked your questions to him. I guess the closest I'll ever get is if I go pick up a CD for Rach's 3rd concerto..... Does Lugansky have one out? And the last question I have is...did you feel appropriately attired?

Dana said...

He does have a recording out. I think it is on the Warner Classics label. And according to the program he is "known for his superb interpretations of Rachmaninoff." Yes, I felt appropriately attired, except I think I noticed a lady eyeing my jean jacket with disapproval. I still need to take my dressy coat to the cleaners, so it was either that or Adam's big Adidas jacket. I think I made the best choice so that lady can just...

POM Beasley said...

That's my Dana...ever the lady. I'll look for the CD...want one too?

Dana said...

Are you buying? Sure.

Jake & Rachel said...

What an amazing experience! I have always wanted to go to a symphony. I was going to pick the top right dress as my top choice too. Good job Dana! I'm sure you looked hot. And I DO know which is the diaper bag!! I remember coveting it way back when. It's still so cute.