Zachary has two bad habits.
(Or maybe more, but why dwell on it?)
Exhibit A:
Exhibit B:
The Diaper-Digging is easy enough to control. Feety pajamas are always an easy deterrent. Also, using a onesie as the foundation for EVERY outfit has worked pretty well. And on days when even that won't stop him, we put a pair of tights UNDER the onesie and that keeps him out fo' sho'!
Now let's address the Thumb-Sucking.
Today, after being told by Zach's grandpa that Zach is officially becoming Buck-Toothed, I decided it was finally time to begin discouraging the habit.
But how do you keep him from putting his thumb in his mouth?
Hot sauce?
Maybe.
Gloves?
He'd pull them off in a flash!
Those bad-tasting medicines you paint on?
Are those even okay for a 20-month-old?
So...
I find myself faced with a dilemma:
How do you get an addict to stop sucking his thumb?
Now let's address the Thumb-Sucking.
Today, after being told by Zach's grandpa that Zach is officially becoming Buck-Toothed, I decided it was finally time to begin discouraging the habit.
But how do you keep him from putting his thumb in his mouth?
Hot sauce?
Maybe.
Gloves?
He'd pull them off in a flash!
Those bad-tasting medicines you paint on?
Are those even okay for a 20-month-old?
So...
I find myself faced with a dilemma:
How do you get an addict to stop sucking his thumb?
Suggestions are welcome.

*me, circa 1982
P.S. He gets it from me...(or maybe Grandpa P?)
I stopped sucking (that phrase has double meaning. lol.) after my parents bribed me with a CareBear, but I don't think Zach will be so easy to reason with.
6 comments:
Girl, I had a thumb sucker too! Bribe, bribe, bribe him - and pray about it - seriously...that really gave me insight why Caleb was doing it and how I might break the habit. I really think it's just plain habit. Good luck!!
Hmmmm, as a REFORMED thumb-sucker I don't think it's as bad as some people make it out to be. I "sucked" until I was like 10-- don't worry, it was only at night once I started school-- but I never even needed braces. And that's not to say that I was blessed with exceptional teeth, cuz I surely wasn't, but if it gets a kid through the days and nights, I say: suck on dear child! :) I think the final trick to get me to stop was teaching me to sleep with a pillow and tucking my hands under it. good luck!
I forgot what it is, but my mother in law said there is actually a name for the whole "hand in pants" thing. Apparently it is extremely common, as is the thumb sucking. I hope he washes his hands before sucking on them after where they have been! :-p
Hahahaha! I was a thumbsucker too. I only stopped when someone told me my teeth would be ugly. (Yes I was vain even way back then) All of my kids sucked their thumbs or fingers in one form or another. And they all quit...eventually... I don't know how you get a baby to quit - they have no self discipline.
I too have a thumb sucker, and was a thumb sucker myself. Our dentist, who has always been my dentist for 20+ years says, you can actually pose more issues,by trying to stop it. He did also say, that if she is going to school doing it there, that could pose problems, but most likely the child catches on the social norms and will only do it in times to soothe.I have faith these kids will stop. They already have so many other things, why? ya know!? Good luck...you know what is right, i am sure of it!! :0)
PS as for the hands in the pants thing....HE IS A BOY!!! LOL He will be doing that, well, until he is his fathers' age, would be my guess...LOL
Post a Comment