Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Theater


This morning Katelyn informed me that she and Zachary would be putting on a play for me. I was very excited! I felt like Mrs. Davies in "Finding Neverland", except not so sick. I decided that I wanted to look my best for the theater, so as the kids prepared their play, I had fun getting dressed up. Out of my pajamas and into some clothes I never wear. I even put on my red lipstick, which I wear only at home for my kids. It makes things like cleaning the house and wiping dirty bottoms feel a little more glamorous. Plus, they like it a lot. Zachary stares at my lips, smiling, and Katelyn tells me I look beautiful. Then I give them funny-looking kisses. What a treat!

Here is the play in photographs.

(I got the feeling that Scene 3 was mostly improvised.
That must be why it was the most entertaining.)

Sleeping Beauty

starring Katelyn as S.B.
and Zachary as Prince Phillip

Scene 1
...in which Sleeping Beauty gives a book to the King and Queen.



Scene 2
...in which Sleeping Beauty reads library books to the children.



Scene 3
...in which Sleeping Beauty and Prince Phillip fight over the same book,
and everyone gets their feelings hurt.
(I'm not gonna lie, this was a pretty emotional scene.)



Scene 3 ended with said library book going on time out.

Nobody in the kingdom was happy.

7 comments:

Gina said...

I'm laughing but trying not to!

What a lovely start to the play and what a normal ending. I cant remember how many similar days I have spent with my kids when they were still small enough to be home with me.

I promise I'm trying to keep a straight face...and failing!!!

POM Beasley said...

Bravo... Bravo...ENCORE!!! (and the flowers are tossed on stage)This is the best afternoon ever. I loved it and especially the unexpected not happily ever after ending....what a great pull out of the hat twist to an all too common story. Katelyn, you are a theatrical genius. The costuming was brilliant. And Dana you would make a great Donna Reed...or Mrs. Cleaver whichever you chose to be (you must be 50 and older to understand that). I want to be invited to the next matinee showing...there are web cams you know. I'll even dress up too but warn me so I can hunt down some red lipstick and blush up my cheeks.

Tiffany said...

I am seriously laughing out loud! What little cuties you have at your house! Super cutsie shoes btw!!

stacy said...

great post! love the twist to the end. just wondering...does the red lipstick make discipline and time outs more enjoyable? You should wear it in public. try dinner with adam sometime. I'm sure you'd look great and Adam would probably enjoy it.

Dana said...

Stacy, I don't know of ANYTHING to make discipline & time-outs more enjoyable for me. Do you? I'd love to know.

I'm not brave enough for red lipstick in public. Maybe a nice red lip gloss, though. I think I could handle that.

Em said...

hilarious my friend, hilarious!!!

karen said...

This made me laugh and laugh. Then I called LaMar over to read it and we both laughed and laughed. Good times...

ps: I wear red lipstick at home on Saturdays when no one else sees. It makes me look like I have makeup on when I don't have any other makeup on.