Friday, February 12, 2010

I Wish I Could Live in This Book:


I love reading books, but I am NOT a re-reader. As soon as I finish a book my mind wanders off in search of the next one. I rarely re-visit a book--even my very favorites.

Recently I read In My Hands: The Story of a Holocaust Rescuer. Depressing? Yes. Inspirational? Yes. Recommended? Definitely! Re-read? No way!

So my mind started to wander...NEXT?

I read The Giver. That was a rare re-read from junior high. I read it again because I had planned on going to book club, where they would be discussing it. I didn't go. Too tired that night.

NEXT?

The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio. The title sounded promising, but titles can be deceiving. I was bored to tears up until the last 20 pages, and even then I was not all that into it.

My mind was desperate! NEXT!

That's when my friend lent me The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. (Thank you!) The title seemed strange, but titles can be deceiving, right? I enjoyed it more and more as I read. As soon as I finished, all I could think about was reading it again! Coming from me, that's saying something! It was a fun, cute little tale about unlikely friendships during the German Occupation. Set in the Channel Islands, it is a mix between Pocahontas, Pride and Prejudice, and In My Hands. I am in love with the book's main character, Juliet, her quietly charming Dawsey, and all her other quirky friends from the island of Guernsey. I highly recommend it!

I think my mind will be stuck on this one for a while.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read this book too! Such a charming book. I so wanted the characters to be real.

Jake & Rachel said...

I read that book last year and it's a favorite too! My book club is reading it next month and me, being the re-reader that I am, am excited to go back to it.

Em said...

i have this on my nightstand! my ward book club is reading it in march. i wasn't too excited about it, but now i'm all jazzed to get started. i'm reading "the help" right now. doesn't have me wanting to stay up late to read, but very little is doing that right now, lol. sleep is WAY to appealing!