Monday, April 20, 2009

Spilled Cheerios

Today has been one of those days. You know what I mean. One of those days where although you are grateful for the blessing of children, you wish someone would come and take them off your hands for a few hours. I don't know...maybe it's just this miserable heat we've been having. Triple digits have been known to make me irritable, but whatever the reason, my day felt kind of like the picture above. A whole bag of spilled Cheerios. And not just your average-sized bag. No. The great big Costco-sized bag--because you were hoping to economize. But just look how that plan backfired in your face.

Katelyn's favorite new game is Cheerio Party. Here's how you play: 1) grab your baby brother, 2) dump out a whole bag of Cheerios and 3) make a royal mess!! She knows better, but she does it anyway. What is my keyboard doing at the Cheerio Party? I don't know. Ask Katelyn. Maybe she invited it. Why does Zach's back look like a baby Wolverine attacked? Because he still claws himself when his nails get too long. He doesn't know when to quit, and sometimes I worry about that, too.

As the day wore on, I struggled to notice all the good things that happened. (Happiness is a choice, right?) For instance, I had a pack of fresh strawberries, and I thought they tasted like summer, so I left them on the counter and snacked throughout the day, reminiscing about summers back at home; Zach was awful cute, and the way he calls me "ma-ma" always cheers me up; and I was looking forward to a night with Adam watching 24 and Heroes (booooo! to the bad guys!!).


But it was our evening walk that truly put things back into perspective for me. It was because of the car that came barreling into the driveway we were crossing. I saw it accelerating, feet from myself, my husband and the stroller he was pushing. The stroller held my precious, Cheerio-Party-loving babies. In that moment I didn't have time to be afraid, but I could see the news. It was Fox 11 news. Christine Devine was reporting (love her!). A tragic hit and run, a photo of our family, and flowers and candles on the sidewalk in front of the 7-Eleven. That's what I saw...and then the car swerved and slammed on the brakes. We quickly crossed to safety and the car of teenagers continued by with giggles and unconvincing shouts of "Sorry!" Hello!! You almost just wiped out my babies! At least say it like you mean it!!


Heavenly Father, is this your idea of a swift kick in the rear? If so, point taken. There's nothing like the thought of losing your family to help you appreciate it more. So the lesson I take away tonight is: enjoy each moment. And I guess...don't cry over spilled Cheerios.

1 comment:

POM Beasley said...

When I first saw your picture I thought, does Zach have a tattoo on his neck/shoulder. You are the best writer Dana and you are the best momma. Tell the kids to invite me to their next Cheerio party. We could have a whole lot of fun in our pantry.....wait, I think Katelyn has already been there, done that as I remember with the spices. What fun kid adventures there are.