Thursday, April 30, 2009

Smellamagood

Smellamagood.

Say it out loud.

That's what Granny B calls perfume. Cute, I know. To learn more about the cutest lady on the planet click on these links to older posts by myself and Mais, Oui Maggie (my little sis who is so obsessed with France that she moved there this past Monday): Happy Times, Young at Heart, Still Perkin', The Granny of the Century, and Muddie, I Love You Bushels. And just for good measure, one of my all time Maggie favorites (which has nothing to do with Granny): SHEEPAREFOREVER.

Now that you know Granny a little better...here is a funny story involving Maggie, Granny, Me, and Smellamagood. And please, only read this story if you can PROMISE not to tell Granny.

Pinky swear?

Okay, proceed.

All my life I have been searching for a signature fragrance. I want one because my Granny has one. Hers is a fragrance from another era. It's called White Shoulders. For Granny, it probably represents creamy bare shoulders, powdered fragrantly after a bath. Woah, sexy!! Not to mention she associates it with a lifetime of fond memories. For me...and I think I can speak for Maggie, too...it smells like a grandma and makes us think of dandruff (white shoulders? yuck!!).

What's funny is that for Maggie's birthday a year or two back, Granny gave her a bottle of White Shoulders. Of course, Maggie didn't want it, and she conveniently "forgot" it at my house one day, so then I was stuck with it.

I couldn't do anything with it. I wasn't going to wear it. But I couldn't just throw it away. After all, it represented Granny. So it sat in my cupboard. For a long time.

I really just wanted to give it back to her, but how could I? I was afraid she'd figure out that it was the self same perfume she had given to Maggie. So I bided my time.

And then it came. The perfect opportunity: her 100th birthday extravaganza. So many relatives would be there. Everyone knows she loves White Shoulders. And it's probably the 2nd most frequent gift she is given...the 1st being See's Candy by a landslide. I would leave it for her anonymously. She would never know who left it. She would never know it was the bottle she had originally given to Maggie. The perfume would have a home. It would be loved and not wasted. It was perfect.


The day of the party she finished opening her gifts, and when she was thoroughly engaged in telling stories, Adam discreetly placed the package on her pile of presents. As the party was winding down, I heard her voice in the distance. She was imploring my Grandma M. "Who got me this White Shoulders??" I smiled to myself. I had pulled it off. Go me!!

***Please, if you know Granny, don't ruin this happy ending. Don't divulge the secret of the White Shoulders. I would be devastated!

My reason for posting about all this Smellamagood nonsense is this: I may have finally found my signature fragrance. The one I have been searching for (unsuccessfully) for years. It is a smell that I will never grow tired of. One that I would be proud to be associated with. And most importantly, one that I would be happy to be re-gifted by my future great-granddaughters. (So lets all cross our fingers and hope that Bath & Body Works lasts that long.)

My signature fragrance is...(drum roll please):

Bath and Body Works Japanese Cherry Blossom Body Lotion

I must admit that after High School I thought my Bath and Body days were over, but I just cannot resist this product. My senses are in love with its scent, and since I use the lotion it also keeps my skin soft. The fragrance lasts at least all day, and on my clothes and sheets it lasts way longer. You should try it if you haven't already.

Here's another product I am loving right now:
Secret Clinical Strength Light and Fresh Scent
This is another fragrance I love (as far as deodorants go)--and Clinical Strength? What's not to love about that?
And as long as we're still talking about smells, do any of you lovely ladies have a laundry scent that is to die for? I'm still searching. I use Tide Fresh Scent detergent and Downy Clean Breeze fabric softener. They smell good, but I'm not quite in love with them. And if you leave a comment with your favorite, I guess I'll know you read all the way to the end of this gargantuan post! Quite the accomplishment. Go you!!

2 comments:

POM Beasley said...

I discovered the appreciation of Secret Clinical Strength with leading music in Sacrament.....nothing worse than raising your arm to lead the whole congregation in the joy of song only to expose a wet pit....not going to happen when one has applied Secret Clinical that morning. You can wave that arm proudly and with confidence. I love Bath and Body Works Cherry Blossom too...and the pomegranate smell too, but I'm partial to anything that promotes our orchard.

Dana said...

FYI mom, both these products came from the Christmas stocking you gave me last Christmas. Muchas Gras.