Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Mother Is In: Free Advice

For the record...I don't offer this advice because I feel smart or anything. Quite the opposite. I offer this advice because we struggle in the child-eating-dinner arena, and I'm excited to find something that worked. If Katelyn got her way she'd eat a bowl of oatmeal for dinner every night. Even though she probably already had it for breakfast, and I probably gave in and let her eat it for lunch, too. And she might have even had an oatmeal snack somewhere in between. Honestly, if Katelyn were stranded on a deserted island, she would want to be stranded with oatmeal...and apples. She could eat those two foods all day. Sometimes she actually does.

Anyway, here's a trick that worked for me tonight. You can take it or leave it. Sorry all you mommys with boys. Although this MIGHT work for some of the little guys, I only recommend trying it on the girls.

This is the deal I cut with Katelyn at the dinner table tonight: “For every BIG bite you take of your dinner I will paint one of your fingernails.” I figured this would buy me at least 10 large bites of dinner. Maybe even 20 if we included the toes. Well...it worked like a charm. I even got lucky: after a few bites she decided that she actually liked dinner. She ate three servings and I only had to paint five nails. It was a miracle!

What is this miracle food that little Katelyn actually ate THIRDS of? Broccoli Cheese Casserole. Even Adam labeled it a "Keeper".

This year I am resolved to eat more vegetables. At least one a day. That may not seem very lofty to most of you, but it is for me. Right now I'm in the stage where I don't care what form it comes in; as long as it is a veggie I feel like I'm doing good. That is why I didn't mind that today's vegetable--broccoli--came disguised with mayonnaise, cheese and bacon. If you can handle that, you'll love this recipe.

20 oz frozen broccoli
1 can cream of mushroom
¾ cup mayonnaise
4 oz shredded sharp cheddar
2 eggs
1 onion, chopped
5 slices bacon, crumbled
Crumbled Ritz crackers

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cook the broccoli and bacon. Drain the broccoli.
In a bowl mix the soup, mayo, cheese, egg, onion, and bacon. Fold in the broccoli.
Pour into a greased 9x13 pan.
Sprinkle Ritz crackers on top.
Bake for 30 minutes.

A yummy way to get your veggies.

***Eventually I want to take my veggie habit in a more Mediterranean direction, so if you have a yummy/healthy recipe for veggies or with veggies please let me know. I need help becoming veggie inspired!***

2 comments:

POM Beasley said...

Two thoughts....One thing in favor of Katelyn's obsession with oatmeal is that her cholesterol will probably always be low. And disguising vegetables isn't always necessarily a bad thing....remember Granny's ability to get you to eat her vegetables is but using lots of butter and SUGAR.....do you forget how good her brussel sprouts are??!!

Em said...

that is so darn cute! very smart mama!
okay 2 things:
1. make sure to grab my button for your page asap!
2. tune into my blog feb 1st, i'm launching something new:-)