Thursday, April 1, 2010

BabyCricket-lovers...that's us!



We have a cricket problem. On any given day you can hear at least 3 crickets serenading our home, and I'd imagine at least 5 others who are keeping quiet. When I say "our home" I mean INSIDE our home...not outside. At first I thought it was cute. Back in those days we found just one cricket a week or so, and we're kind to our crickets. We escort them in a cup to the front door, then toss them outside, hopefully shaking some sense into them. They know we won't kill them, and I guess our reputation has spread. I feel like we have become cricket Mecca! There are more crickets than people in this house! It's becoming a battle.

Tonight after dessert I threw (not literally) Zach in the tub, then left for a minute. I ran back in because he started screaming "Cricket, mommy!!" He was pointing at TINY bugs. I looked close. I thought they were tiny ants (we have had those, too), except--they were jumping! FAR! They were Baby, Stinking, Crickets!...which only confirmed our fears that crickets have been getting it on in our house.

After the initial gross factor wore off, Adam and I decided they were cute and started brainstorming ways to rescue them. Sadly, one of them died during the trip out the front door...and the mother abandoned the one that lived, but I'm sure Heavenly Father has BIG plans for that little baby cricket. I will call him The Cricket Who Lived, and Katelyn and I will daydream about the adventures he will have while hopping the corridors of a school named Hogwarts. I can't wait to tell Maggie!
P.S. Don't tell my kids cricket #2 is dead. They are hearing bedtime stories about him as I type.

6 comments:

Carlson Clan said...

Yuck yuck yuck! I do not miss those!! We had soooo many of those in Las Vegas! Seriously when we would drive up to our apartment you would see them scatter! So gross!

Gina said...

We have baby crickets EVERYWHERE at the moment too.

Our grass has big patches that are dying and we have been told that the crickets eat the grass roots. As soon as we found that out we stopped thinking of them as cute and now see them as a pest.

Anyone know of a cricket deterrent???

threeboogers said...

I here that at our house too and find them in the house. I'm ready to get Orkin or some bug person, to me they are like cockroaches, Ewwww

karen said...

Yeah, don't share the cute factor with you. I hate bugs that jump. Especially when they can jump far. But shhhhh... I won't spill the beans about Cricket #2.

POM Beasley said...

Well I for one am grateful for the crickets....they've gotten you to blogging again......Can I have you take a picture of Zach and Katelyn near the crickets so I can see an updated picture of them. It has been WAY too long since you blogged last.

Em said...

bleeeeeeehhhh!!!!!!