Sunday, July 12, 2009

Doctor's Orders


These are our toothbrushes. Mine is the second from the left. The princess one. No I'm not kidding. I picked it out myself...Dr's orders.

Ever heard of receding gumline? I have it. Basically, it means I brush too hard. WAY too hard!

Some of the best tips my DDS gave me are:

1. Don't "saw" your teeth. Brush only 1-2 teeth at a time...not 5-6.
2. Brush from your wrist...not your elbow.
3. Don't use whitening toothpaste...it is more abrasive.
4. Use a kids brush...it forces you to cover a smaller area (plus it's way more fun than a normal brush!!)
5. Only brush twice a day...4-5 times a day is unnecessary.

I remember in Kindergarten my dentist came to our class and taught us how to brush our teeth. I always thought I was a great brusher, but I must have misinterpreted something he said. I guess more is actually less when it comes to brushing.

Props to my new dentist for setting me straight!

6 comments:

Katie M. Brown said...

thanks so much for the update!! ben has HUGE teeth on the bottom from receiding gums...so i told him all you said and we are switching all sorts of habbits. maybe he will still have teeth is 30 years! :)

Dana said...

Yay for teeth! If I remember anything else my DDS said I'll let you know, Katie.

Em said...

hahaha, SOOOOO my problem. i have to use the "extra soft" brush and then i still "brush too hard." sigh. at least i brush! shouldn't that be revered!? haha, the word verification for this is "denta". funny.

Shelley said...

I have the exact same thing and I went to the dentist Monday to get that taken care of! Weird. I also got a soft bristled toothbrush but not a fun princess one like you. Oh and as for your harry potter update.. thats awesome. Movies are still great even when you don't see the first showing!

Mari said...

Good dentists are worth their weight in gold--even more for the skinny ones like mine :) Happy brushing!

stacy said...

yes, yes that's good advise! So many people make the mistake of using hard or even medium bristles and that is not necessary or good. Soft is all you need. If you are gonna brush less frequently it'd be good to do it after meals or chew sugarless gum for 20 minutes or so after eating to reduce the acidity in your mouth and increase saliva production. You definitely don't want to have tissue grafting so take care of those gums! I love the toothbrush by the way. Oh and this makes me actually miss working in a dental office. haha!