Friday, October 17, 2008

Sign Stealing...How Rude!!


This week has been a long, fun, crazy week. And I've had a lot on my mind. On top of all of my normal motherly duties (never-ending job) and students (part-time job), I've had book club, choir, every intention of going to enrichment, 4 sheets to call for Prop 8 (and a phobia of talking on the phone--not a good combination), a talk to give on Sunday, and Primary Sacrament presentation is in 2 Sundays and I still can't figure out how to get the kids to pay attention to me during the songs (I'm thinking bribery). And with so much on my mind I did what I usually do under high stress--let the house get messy and play with my kids (put off the hard stuff for later). So we did a lot of shopping, ice creams at McDonald's, time spent with Jana, visits with Marisa, CandyLand, and coloring. Sounds fun, huh? Here's the bad part: Tomorrow is Saturday and I still have to hit up the sale at Macy's, watch Jessica's soccer game, take a trip to the pumpkin patch, fold a mountain of laundry, call my Prop 8 sheets, write an amazing talk, prepare for our final Primary practice and nurse Zach ump-teen times. Can it be done? Yes. Will I get any sleep? Probably not.

Read on...

So, about that Prop 8...there has been a huge outbreak in crime--Sign Stealing. The other night Adam was out and about and he got stuck behind a guy who left his car parked right in the middle of the road while he stole signs. And what did Adam do? Shot him nasty looks and unpleasant thoughts...like farting in his face. And then I heard that my brother-in-law had put out 50 signs around town one night and by 5:30 the next morning every single one was gone. Vanished...into thin air?? An editorial in the paper today said that signs are being stolen and vandalized all over Orange County. One person wrote "Biggots" across the sign...note the misspelling.

Okay, so number one, I think that is just not classy. I will quote my childhood idol, Stephanie Tanner: "How rude!" If you're so against something, put up your own signs...don't steal other people's time, money and freedom of speech.

Number two, I think there is a lot of misunderstanding about the proposition. People on both sides are very emotionally charged and that can make it confusing. If a person is planning to vote Yes on 8 it does not mean they are anti-gay or anti-lesbian. The proposition takes away no civil rights or freedoms that gay and lesbian partners already have. Simply, it defines marriage in the California constitution as being between a man and a woman. All a yes vote says about a person is that they believe that the definition of marriage is (and would like it to remain): a union between a man and a woman. I believe that from the beginning of time "marriage" has been used to describe committed unions between men and women. I believe in God and I believe that He intends marriage to be that way. I believe that God loves all of his children (all of us) equally. I have nothing against people who are gay and lesbian. I love all people equally. What I do have is a very clear view and opinion of what marriage is, and it is a very special and sacred opinion. One that will not change. Even if you call me names.

Please vote!!

As a side note: Kate took my picture again today. She always chops me up into pieces. She handed me the camera to show me this and said "Here mom, I took your picture."


"...I took a picture of your face, too."
(Notice the messy room? I wasn't lying about letting my house go.)

4 comments:

Carlson Clan said...

Kate did a good job taking that last picture of you Dana!! You look very pretty! Your expression makes you look like a model! And good luck getting everything done!! I've definitely been there before...just not with 2 kids!

Em said...

i'm so glad you know about stephanie!!! she is my fav:-) we ran a 5K today to raise money (someone else's event). i would LOVE it if you could spread the word to anyone who lives in utah! some people have been copy and pasting the first two paragraphs of the "Event 11.18.08" post i did, so feel free to put it on your blog, or email it to your friends and family. the key is the register for the event at www.complete-wealth.com so that we can track it and donate the money.

POM Beasley said...

Dana....we had a very militant lesbian verbally accost us in the sign waving campaign today. She had the Albert kid (your age, can't remember his name) on the ropes and even Sister Whitaker went for her jugular...didn't know she was such a barracuda ....she even had me sucked in at one point I have to admit. She ended up standing in front of us and yelling NO ON 8 with a clenched fist to those driving by and then got in her car, gave her lover a big smooch and drove away with two (very embarrassed looking) kids in the car...We all just gotta hang in there. Good luck on your talk and the Primary program...turn on the charm. You are an amazing mom.

Lifeisapitch said...

ok, Dana and Adam....I don't know if you remember me (or Scott), but I was blogstalking (I think that's what it's called) where you click on people's friends blogs...and I saw your picture, and said to myself, don't I know these people? didn't they used to be in our ward. So I asked Scott and he said, yeah, ask him if he is a chiropractor yet, tell him I am still in the Elder's Quoroum presidency! lol. So I hope you remember us---the Guymons....Scott, Diane, Melanee, William, Bradley, and Andrew. It was fun reading your blog. If you want an update on us, check out my blog www.dsguymon.blogspot.com or come back to Chico and visit us, were still here!!!!