Friday, October 24, 2008

The Dump Cake of Dinners

I love to cook and try fancy new recipes and stuff, but let's just face the facts...I don't like to spend a lot on food when we don't have a lot to spend. So unless it's a special occasion or I'm caught in a moment of weakness I will usually forgo the fresh herbs, spices, fancy sauces and oils that will make your food taste that much better--even though the only person who might notice is you and (if you're lucky) your husband. I also tend to pass up those handy little kitchen gadgets that you can buy for an arm and a leg at Crate & Barrel. Sure, they make your job of separating the yolk from the egg white that much easier, but my kitchen is small and I just don't have room for all those luxuries. So I get creative.

With that said, I want to take the time to share with you one of my favorite recipes. Just a few basic ingredients that I always keep on hand for those days when I just don't know what to do about dinner. With minimal prep time, it's like the dump cake of dinners. It's so easy Katelyn can to it (with some supervision). I don't even know what to call it. We think it tastes like the tortilla soup from Islands restaurant, so let's call it Tortilla Soup. Here we go...

Start your soup shortly after you finish your lunch so it'll be ready by dinner time.

2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 bag frozen bell pepper slices (from the frozen veggies aisle)
1 small can Campbell's Cheddar Cheese soup
3 Tbsp. chunky salsa

Throw it all in your crock pot and cook on low for 5 or 6 hours. It'll become kind of soupy.

We serve it topped with shredded cheddar, raw avocado chunks, and crushed Salsa Verde Doritos. Yum!

Try it next time you feel like something new and easy.

P.S. If you don't know what dump cake is, please let me know and I'll post that recipe, too. Because everyone should try it at least once in their lifetime. And I strongly believe that.

2 comments:

Mary Jo said...

Wow that looks really yummy!
And I have never heard of dump cake.

Em said...

i am also all about quick dinner ideas. i posted our last night's meal on our blog b/c it's fast, easy, and yummy!!! can't wait to try yours:-)