Saturday, October 4, 2008

Just Felt Like Runn-in'



Hail the conquering heroes...The results are in and it looks like Maggie won the St. George marathon. Don't believe me? Just look at the picture of her flying to the finish line, and if that isn't enough proof, look at her medal. First place. Okay, so maybe they give medals to all the finishers, but I'm still pretty impressed with her. For the first time since anyone could remember it rained during the St. George marathon, and we're not just talking sprinkles--it was pouring miserable. Adam said it was so cold that his legs never warmed up the whole 26.2 miles. Maggie has never run a race before, unless you count all the little 5K races that our mom would sign us up for as kids. I wouldn't count it because we never trained, we just went out and ran them to make mom happy. A few months ago she and Adam were talking and by the time their conversation was over they were both signing up for the marathon. I guess when Maggie does something she goes big. I would have started with a 10K and worked my way up, but not my fearless Maggie. Adam finished in 3 hrs 27 min, with the help of his own style of "HypnoRunning." He was inspired by my HypnoBirthing method I used with Zachary, and when his body wanted to quit he thought if Dana can do it so can I, and he went into the zone. I make it a point not to hug my husband when he's all stinky from running, with the one exception being to congratulate him after a marathon, so I got my big stinky hug and he brought me a popsicle from the runners' tent. But I think the highlight for me was after Maggie came in she went into her Forrest Gump monologue right there in the finishing area. "I don't remember my first picnic, or my first trip to the park...but I do remember my first pair of shoes...And one day I just felt like runnin'..." Congratulations to all who ran in the marathon. I tip my hat to you.

2 comments:

POM Beasley said...

Dana: You're brilliant in your take on these two great runners. My take on it was Airplane ticket $225, hotel $263, running the last five miles with Maggie Beasley.....PRICELESS!!! and then I do have to say Maggie's post race Forest Gump monologue was the frosting on the cake. How did she have the strength mentally and physically to pull that off after 26.2 miles in the rain and cold and pain...my hats off to these two too. Adam you were awesome!!!

POM Beasley said...

Dad wants to know if that's Maggie he sees back in the pack.