Monday, August 2, 2010

Robot Arms: Day 1


Can you guess why there are homemade splints attached to Littleman's arms? Hint: Think of his two bad habits.

Did you guess?

Okay, his palate is pushing forward from all the thumb-sucking and I don't know what else to try. And his other hand is always wandering into his diaper. He has no shame. It's gotta stop!

So...

I got this idea from a magazine. As you can see, he is not at all happy about it. Tonight was his first night in "robot arms". Anytime his hands began to wander where they shouldn't, we strapped them on. Luckily, he HATED it!

I saw definite progress tonight as he was falling asleep (his favorite time for his two bad habits). I noticed he would start bringing his thumb to his mouth, hesitate a second, then tuck his hand away. And he didn't even TRY the Al Bundy hand resting in the pants move! It's a start...

P.S. When he's older, I'm sure he'll either love us or hate us for this. I'm hoping love (fingers crossed).

P.P.S. He probably won't love that I blogged this, though. Remind me to erase it before he develops his social conscience.

8 comments:

POM Beasley said...

So funny and so creative. If you take this off your blog, you have to copy it for Maggie first and mail it to her cuz I know she'll love it...wait I can print it off and mail it to her. I'll tell her to destroy the evidence after she's done laughing so hard she causes herself her own embarrassment.

karen said...

That's one of the funniest things I've ever seen. But very creative. I used to make my oldest son wear fuzzy mittens to bed so he wouldn't suck his thumb. It didn't really work.

Em said...

Baaaahhh!!! Brennans binky habbit is on the verge of overdrive. It has finally become only a habbit during the day. None of us are ready to have it done with a night, but the day we're going to try. It just happened overnight. So weird. Good luck!!!

Mary Jo said...

Oh my gosh that last picture is too funny!! I will have to keep this in mind when I have to get Hudson to stop sucking his fingers but he is only 8 months so for now I don't mind it that much. Is he potty trained because I have noticed that once they don't have a diaper on and just underwear the "touching themselves" gets even worse!

Dana said...

@MJ- Seriously!? Zach's not potty trained yet. I was secretly hoping that big boy undies would make it better...not worse! Now I'm really scared. Haha!

Mary Jo said...

That was my experience. Because there is not a big diaper strapped to them just thin underwear. Jack used to never touch himself now he does once in a while.

Carlson Clan said...

HAha That is hilarious!!! His poor little facial expression! He looks tortured! Such a good idea though!

Jana said...

Poor little Zach! His face is hilarious. I don't know what his mouth was saying, but his little face looks like it's whining, "Moooom!" And I love that it looks like Katelyn is trying to pick her nose in the background, since it's a post about bad habits and all. Oh kids. : )