Saturday, September 27, 2008

Happy Birthday

I really like sugar, and I kind of like to create things, but there is something about creating things out of sugar that really gets me excited. I tell Adam that my dream is to someday own a bakery with the cutest yummiest little cakes, pastries and candies that you ever did see. For me, the best part about a birthday party is making the cake. This is partly because one year my mom made me the most awesome Rainbow Brite B-Day cake, and it inspired me. One year Jana even made me a cake with John Lennon's face frosted right on it. She may not realize it, but she has a gift. And I already promised Maggie a Radiohead cake for her next birthday. It is in July, but my wheels are already turning. Nope, no pre-fab, storebought cakes in this family. And so, here is my latest creation. First I frosted it white, then I spread in some Teal frosting to make it look oceany. The "sand" is really just brown sugar and the seashells are white and milk chocolate from candy molds. I piped on the detail with a darker shade of teal frosting and added an Ariel candle to complete the Little Mermaid theme. The bottom line is that Katelyn loved it. Yay!!
These are a few of Katelyn's cousins and friends. We were so excited that Ava could be there!!
And here's Zachary thinking...Hmm, Katelyn's got some cute friends!!
I heart Kate...how could I not??
Kate: "A Dora wallet!, and a Dora purse!, and Dora keys!, and Dora credit cards! Thank you Grandma Bleeslee!!!" (This is all she has been asking for for months!)
This face seems to be a recurring theme...You may remember it from her family birthday party.
Katelyn lives for birthday parties and birthday cake. It's all she talks about all year long. Here she is living it up.
This was the cutest moment ever. After we finished singing to her I explained to her "Now you get to make a wish before you blow out the candles." Katelyn put her tiny little 3-yr-old hands up to her face for a minute, almost like a prayer. Then I heard her whisper in a voice that made me want to believe in fairies..."I wish for my daddy." Then she leaned forward and gently blew out the candles one by one. Someone even narrated "One...Two...Three." It was so precious.

So what will our family be doing tonight you may wonder? Well--we will be very busy watching Pocahontas. Please do not disturb.

2 comments:

POM Beasley said...

Can someone get me a tissue please.....Grandma Bleeslee

Maggie Mae said...

Oh my, I can't even take in how precious that is. Just the story made me want to believe in fairies, I don't know what I would have done if I had actually heard it. I can't wait till you throw my birthday party. ...And since when did Grandma Bleeslee get a blog...