Sunday, December 11, 2011

Granny B turns One-oh-Three

 Today my beautiful Granny turned 103. I wasn't there for her party, we only talked on the phone, but here are some of the pictures my mom took. Granny is the sweetest lady I know. On the phone she talked to me about how blessed she was to have had a good husband and a good son and good grandchildren. I told her that I feel blessed to have such a great granny. When I was growing up I would stay the night with my Granny as often as possible. I would usually stay over on Friday nights. Granny and I would hang out and she would tell me the stories of her life. She taught me how to sew and crochet by hand. She would help me make clothes for my dolls. She would show me her "treasures"...like her old dolls from when she was a girl, and her Japanese jewelry box that played a tune when you opened the door, and an old cartoon that her son had drawn. Once I drew her a picture of Bart Simpson playing basketball. I'm not sure what she saw in that picture, but she kept it on display for years. It might even still be up...haha! Granny and I would sleep together in her big bed. She lived near a go cart race track and I would fall asleep to the sounds of the races going throughout the night. Every morning she would do her exercises before she got out of bed, so I would exercise, too. We would stretch our legs and do a few crunches...that was about it. I still do that sometimes when I wake up...because it's what granny does. Then Granny would get up and fix breakfast. She would always sing her favorite old songs while she cooked and my cousin would make jokes because the singing wasn't very good. First she would cook bacon, then she would scramble eggs in the bacon grease with some black pepper, and let me tell you...bacon grease makes for some delicious scrambled eggs! Then she would heat up some water for my hot chocolate and her coffee. Last, she would make me my favorite toast with cinnamon and sugar. I would watch the Saturday cartoons while we ate our breakfast, then when all the info-mercials started coming on I would go out to play in her yard. I would climb her tree for a pomegranate and sit and eat the pretty red seeds. I would make necklaces out of the 4 o'clock flowers when they opened, and I would play with her snap dragons. I would suck on the milk thistle and chew the mint leaves that grew near her garage, and I would try to plant the peas from her pea pod tree, or pick the yellow flowers from her bush and pretend to be a flower girl in a wedding. One time I picked off nearly all the little yellow flowers from her bush and granny got mad. That's the only time I can remember her being mad. I stayed with her a lot in college, too. Whenever I was too tired to drive home at night, I would go to granny's. It didn't matter what hour of the night it was, I would pull up and come to the door and she would already know I was there...even though she is hard of hearing. I love my Granny B. She is an amazing lady!

 I love that they got her a pinata this year. She is a candy fanatic. She actually got down on her hands and knees to scramble up the candy. She is really just a kid at heart. Priceless!
 
 I love you Granny!

2 comments:

POM Beasley said...

Love it Dana

Smaug said...

She is the most beautiful 103 year old ever.... so awesome!